Category: Game development

The component based navmesh system has been in development for quite some time, and I’ve been using it over the built in pretty much since it first came out. It has been availabe on Github since the start, but has now moved into an experimental package. You can still clone the github repo, but you may want to use the experimental package instead.

For Unity 2021 it’s quite well documented: You can just add the package by name. However, they don’t mention that you can add it in older versions. I’ve only tried this in 2020.3 but it may also work for older versions.

2020.3 does not have the “Add package by name” feature, but you can bypass this by using the “Add package from git URL”. Somple add the following when you are asked for the URL.

Hope this helps!

Last month I participated in another Ludum dare. I wasn’t to happy when the theme was announced. Them theme was “The more you have, the worse it is”. A broad theme, but I wanted to make something unique.

After getting some sleep and thinking about different ideas, I came up with a very vague idea about planting seeds and either the plants or the seeds would be poisonous. As I said, the idea was very vague at the beginning, and I started working on something without a good plan. At first I had the idea of the seeds being represented by particles like a gas cloud. I scrapped that idea, but the problem was I kep the idea about seeds being particles. I don’t know why I didn’t change that, but I ended up spending several hours implementing a system for detecting and destroying individual particles as they collided with the player. This system ended up very buggy, as expected, and I had to spend a lot of time just messing around with colliders to make things work the way I wanted (they still don’t btw). By that time, I had a clear goal at least, even though it was one that I no longer liked. I ended up building a game without any increase in difficulty over time but at least I had something playable to submit at the end. I ended up submitting it for the jam instead of the compo as planned, but still I made something.

Since I wasn’t happy about my game, I wasn’t eager to get it rated either, so I didn’t do much to draw attention.

What went well?

  • I managed to submit a game.
  • The idea was somewhat unique.

Where did I fail?

  • The game was even worse then my first submission.
  • Spent way to much time on things that the game didn’t need.
  • Didn’t have a clear goal. Changes are fine, but not knowing what I even want to make is terrible.
  • I could actually ahve done something with the idea I had, but the implementation was horrible.
  • 2D animations lol
  • I recorded sound effects and made a music theme. The music felt out of place.
  • When I was done. The game still didn’t have a clear goal, except to survive as long as possible without increasing difficulty.
  • I didn’t get to use my ugly death animation 🙂
  • A lot of other minor things.

So, to sum it up, I ended up making a bad prototype that I haven’t looked at since. For my last game, I knew there were room for improvements and I actually went back after the jam ended to implement some of them. This game, I just want to forget. If I ever want to do something similar, I’ll do it from scratch.




If you need to set a number of vertices to a specific color, it’s not obvious how to do this (at least not for me).

  1. Select the vertices edges or faces in edit mode.
  2. Switch to Vertex pain and click the icon that says Face selection masking (it’s between the layers and pivot point settings).
  3. Select a color
  4. Hit space and search for set vertex color.

This is great if you want to use Vertex colors to mark different areas of an object.